Saturday, January 21, 2017

Christian Dress Code

Some time ago I was told that how I dressed to come to church was not following what the bible says about how we should dress to come to church.  I was puzzled by that statement. I was told that women should not wear pants and also should keep their heads covered at all times. I had to shake my head a bit at this interpretation of the bible.  

Part of this is true. In the bible it does say that women need to keep their heads covered. However, there is nothing in the bible that mentions how women should other wise dress. Back in bible times everyone (men and women) wore long robes or dresses. Pants didn't come along till much later. So how could the bible talk about not wearing them if they did not exist at that time?

The bible does say that you should come in your best to see Jesus. That means if your best is jeans or nice looking pants then wear them. God wants to see our hearts. We need to be concerned with how we dress our hearts than ourselves. 

Yes we need to wear nice clothes to church. We need to be neat and orderly. That does not mean that you have to come dressed in a ball gown to church. It means that you come dressed in what you have. Not everyone can afford to dress to the 9s. 

Some denominations have dress codes. I can remember my Grandpa Rittenour talking about when he was a child how the Mennonites dressed. It was and still is similar to the Amish. I have a friend who is old order Mennonite and she makes her own dresses. Very beautiful at that. I admire people who have such a strong faith that they can stick to something like that. 

There are some other denominations like the Brethren that have women to wear prayer coverings. I can remember my Aunt Virginia wearing one each time we went to church. My dad called it her sin sifter. I think he was trying to poke fun at her.

I know in the Middle East the dress code for Women in that they show nothing but their eyes. Everything is covered all the time. I think that would have to get hot.  

I don't think that how you are dressed matters. I think that it is what is in your heart that matters. God looks at the heart. If your heart is not right with him then he is not pleased. 

So the next time you go to church think about how not only are you dressed, but your heart as well. You need to wear what you feel is your best dress not only on  your body, but also your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...