Saturday, June 10, 2017

Who will do it when I am gone?

     I attend a church where a majority of the members are over 60. Out of the 26 people that come to church at any one time 22 of them are over 60. That leaves 4 people who are under 60. Now of those 4 people 3 of them are over 50. That leave one under 50. That is me. I am the youngest person that attends my church. The next oldest person is 50. What an age gap?
     A majority of the time I hear the Seniors in the church ask why the younger people of the church are not taking a more active role. I stand back and laugh to myself. As the youngest person in church I try to take an active role, but am pushed out. I get told too often that I am not old enough yet to do things. Really? You complain on the one hand that you want younger people to do things and then on the other hand you push us away. What gives?
     Some time ago I began looking at the future of our church. What it is going to look like years from now. The oldest people in our church are approaching 90 while me the youngest will be 40 in 2 years. That is a 50 year age gap.
       As it stands right now I am not allowed by those powers that be at church to be on any committees or have any say in things that go on at church. It seems that their buddies are put on all the committees of the church so that they can get their way. That is not good at all. We all need to work together to make the church work for the Lord.
      So as I write this I wonder. When the old folks are gone who will do it? I remember my Uncle Ward involving everyone in the church in the working of it. He did a lot of things around the church, but he was glad to have the help. He encouraged the young folks to take a part. I miss those days of when the older folks accepted the younger.
     I keep saying that when those I charge are gone that I will be left to do all the work. They don't listen to me at all. One day I will be right. So why not let me get my feet wet by being on a committee? That is too much to ask I am afraid.
     I find that more and more churches are in this boat of having a majority of older members and very few if any younger members. Those churches seem to be dying out. They don't change their ways to attract new younger members. They are stuck in a rut, That is what is going on at my church. Not a good way to be.      
     So what to do? Well, you have got to make changes. One of the things I have seen with churches that have a large young people crowd is that they have things that bring those young people in the doors.
     One thing is music. Yes it is ok to sing the old familiar hymns. However, more and more churches are incorporating Contemporary Christian Music into their worship. Chris Tomlin, Jason Crabb, Jamie Grace, Natalie Grant, Mandisa, and so forth have become a part of worship.
      The pastor makes a difference. If you have a pastor that is energetic and willing to be a part of the community then that will help. The Baptist Church next door to us has a pastor that is willing to do whatever it takes to spread the message of God's love in the community. He goes to visit people, a lot of them not even members of his own church. He is awesome.
      Another thing is getting your church recognized in a positive way in the community. That is do things in the community to help others. Have a Clothes Closet, Back to School Back Pack Hand Out, Community Thanksgiving/Christmas Meals, Youth Night, and more.
     Don't be a church that just sits on their hands and gives up. Be a church that does. A church that sows seeds in the community. Do the right things for the right reasons. It will make a difference.
     So if you are a church with a majority of older folks get off your butts and do something to get younger people into the church before it is too late. You might just end up closing your doors otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...