Sunday, October 8, 2017

You Are Parked Illegally








So recently I went to church as I always do. When I got there I parked where I always park. Before I go farther with this let me say that my Uncle and my Aunt usually come to church with me in my car. Neither one of them drives. My Uncle has never driven and my Aunt doesn't drive due to doctor's orders.

So this Sunday it was just me and my Uncle in the car. As I said I parked the car where I always do. I always park in a spot along the side of the church that has handicap parking. I put my Uncle's handicap placard in the rear view mirror before exiting the car as I do each Sunday. I really don't need to do this, but since this happened I make sure to do so.

We went into church as usual. Nothing was said about my parking and that is normal. That was until worship. A man in his late 70s early 80s who had just had hip replacement surgery comes in with his single prong cane. He walks up to me and asks me if the placard in my car belongs to me. I told him no that it is issued to my Uncle. He then asks me if it is registered to my car. With a shock look I tell him no. He then proceeds to tell me that if the placard is not registered to my car I am parked illegally. I was in shock.

Me park illegally? No way! This bothers me to no end. So after tell my Uncle and my sister about this I look up the laws about handicap placards on the DMV website. I wanted to make sure that I was right about what I knew the law was.

See for years I have used handicap placards in my cars. I used my Grandpa's, my Mom's my Uncle's and my Aunt's all and never  before had an issue.

After looking up the what the DMV said I was satisfied about the issue. That was till this morning. See my Uncle could not go to church today with us (me and my aunt) so I called my Aunt so we could use her placard.

As we drove down the road to church I told my Aunt the story. She was appalled. She told me that I was right in being able to park in the spot at church with the use of the placard as long as the person the placard was issued to was riding in the car. She assured me that if this man at church gave me grief about parking she would handle him. Turns out the man didn't come to church today.

Some people have the nerve. They worry about the dumbest things in life. This man was more worried about being cheated out of a parking spot than hearing the message. To top things off there was an older couple parked next to me with a placard. This man never got after them. He had a pick at me. I think it was cause I was young that is why.

If truth be known my Uncle needs to park nearest the church more than most. He is 74, had both hips replaced (one is in place with medical grade super glue), he has coronary heart failure, and arterial fibrillation.  Not to mention that my Uncle has breathing issues and weight issues. On top of the fact that my Uncle does not walk well. I am afraid to park much farther from the door for fear that my Uncle will fall.

My Aunt does not walk well and falls easy so she is another reason I park so close. Most people in church understand why I park were I do when both of them come with me to church. I just think that this man was upset that he had to walk and get a little exercise with that new hip of his,

So this week I have done a lot of praying for this man. He had to have been in pain to accost me like that. Life is not always fair. We need to make the best of things when things don't go our way. I say to this man get over it and let it go. Life is too short to cause conflict and worry over silly things.

So until something happens that I am not bringing my Uncle and Aunt to church I will keep parking in the same spot that I always have and display a placard for the rider of the car. I will also pray for this man who is wrong. He obviously comes to church for the wrong reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...