Monday, May 11, 2015

Modern vs. Tradional Christian Music


Recently I sang a prelude at church. This is something that I do quite often. After the service was over a lady at my church came up to me and told me that the next time that I sang a solo that I needed to sing a more traditional song and that I needed to run it by her for approval first. I was shocked and stunned. How could someone who clamed to be a Christian say this to me? It really had me puzzled.

Then I got to thinking about it. Why would someone be so offended by the modern Christian music? I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, many denominations have embraced it. They sing some of the latest Praise and Worship hits as part of their services. Often times it is the more traditional songs that gets thrown by the way side.

To me I can see us having a mix of both in church. I would love to sing some of the modern songs along with the traditional. I just recently came across the hit song Glorious Day in our hymnbook under the title One Day. I would love to sing it, but I know that that would not go over too smooth at my church.

I don't see the offence. The modern songs have great messages to them. They get people up on their feet excited about worshiping God. Churches were modern praise and worship music is used have a high number of teens and young adults in attendance.  Young people, teens, and young kids is what my church needs bad.

At 35 I am the youngest adult in church. There is no one younger than me in church. I fear that it is because we are stuck in our comfortable traditional rut. We need to get out of it and fast. We need to look at what is not working and make a change.

If we start and make this change with the music then other changes will take place. It takes time, but it will be worth it to help the church grow.

So I encourage you to check out some modern music and see what it is all about. I will start by inviting you to check out Jason Crabb.  One of my favorite songs of his is I'm Amazed. I is so awesome. Also check out Daystar. Both of these are great songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...