Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas Traditions






Many of us have traditions of things that we do at Christmas each year. Some are things that we have done since we were a child. Others are things that we have come to do later in our life because of how our lives have changed. 

As a kid we had traditions at Christmas. On Christmas Eve we would go to my Aunt Sandra's house for dinner and opening of gifts. Then at 6:30pm those that wanted to would gather up and go with Grandma to her church for the Christmas Eve Service. On Christmas Day the Grandparents and Aunt Virginia and Uncle Ed would come to our house for soup and sandwiches as well as a gift exchange. 

Times have changed and family members have gone on. My sister and I are making new traditions. With her work schedule it is sometimes hard to spend Christmas together. So we have our Christmas on Christmas Eve. We have a meal, open presents, and then we go to some of the local Christmas Eve Services. This year we are going to the Valley Baptist and Wardensville United Methodist Services.

On Christmas Day I will spend it with our adopted family, The Strosniders. I am thankful that I have them in my life after Mom passed. I am thankful that they have opened their home and life to me. 

Also on Christmas Eve this year I will be taking my Uncle Woodie and going to our church for services. I will be singing a special song as part of the service. Then he will come home with me to have lunch. 

Everyone has special traditions. A friend of mine told me about how when she was young they would gather around the Christmas Tree on Christmas Morning for the reading of the Christmas Story. I thought that was a beautiful tradition. 

Another tradition from my child hood was making goodies with Aunt Virginia. She had a list of cookies and candies that she would make at Christmas. Some of those she would put in the fruit baskets at her church that went to elderly folks who were home bound. Then there were some that she would give to others as gifts. I still remember making homemade mince meat filling for cookies or making rocky road fudge. 

As a kid a tradition was to always be in a Christmas Play at church. Each year the play was different, but it was special. One year we did the Nativity and I got to play Mary. As part of the play I got to sing Away In A Manger. That is my favorite Christmas Hymn. 

Whatever the tradition it is special to you. Something that you remember and cherish. As a part of those traditions we should never loose site of the true meaning of Christmas. That is that Jesus is the reason for the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...