Thursday, August 31, 2017

#IAmWV






I have lived in WV all my life. Still live in the same town. Still have some of the same neighbors. Nothing much has changed in 38 years. I grew up in Lost City. If you blink when you are driving through you will miss it. Nothing to see or do here. Just a dot on the map.

My father was a farmer. We lived near the family farm. My dad raised cattle. Mom was a high school teacher for 40 years. She taught math, but for many years was a high school librarian. My Mom's family lived on a farm. My Grandpa Rittenour raised chickens, sheep, and Angus Cattle. He had awards for his sheep and cows.

I remember often spending time with Grandpa going to the chicken house or out to the sheep shed to help him. There were times that I would help feed the cows too. I learned to appreciate hard work and to be grateful for what I had. We didn't have much, but we were thankful for it.

Faith in God was important. Mom took us to church every Sunday. Dad was of the opinion that you didn't have to go to a building to worship God. Sometimes I think he is right. Sunday tradition was to come home from church to sit down to a beef roast lunch. Mom would put it in before we went to church and when we got home the house smelt so good.

Education was important. My Mom believed in getting a good education so that you could go far in life. School was tuff. I had some great teachers that taught me so much. One thing I remember Mr. Funkhouser teaching is getting to know your students. If you know them then you will be better able to teach them. Mr. Funkhouser was WV Teacher of the Year and it was well deserved.

I have found this to be true in my own education career. I am a Preschool Classroom Aide or Early Childhood Classroom Teaching Assistant (ECCAT). I have found that if you take the time to get to know your students that you will have a great year. Conversations with children are key. You learn so much about a child and their life. It makes the child feel at ease and they learn to trust you. Years later they will come to you when they need anything.

Music was always a big part of my life. I love to sing. At Mathias Elementary we had a choir that met during recess a few days a week. I loved to take part. Mrs. Funkhouser made music fun. She taught me that if you are trying to remember something important that if you put it to music you will remember it better.

Another favorite part of school was Home Ec class. Mrs. Lane taught me to use a Treadle Sewing Machine in 7th grade. Mrs. Strawderman taught pie baking in the 8th grade. I remember making a sugar free apple pie for my Grandma Rittenour. Grandma said that was the best pie ever. Mrs. Branson taught us how to bake, sew, cook, and decorate cakes in high school. I remember she taught us how to make meringue.

Thanks to Mrs. Moss I am able to type on a computer without having to look at the keys. Mr. Rudy taught me that it was always best to have completed your work whatever you were doing cause it could get you in trouble. Too many times of not completing my homework in Algebra II and having to go to the board to work one of the problems out taught me a lesson.

My Aunt Virginia taught me so much. I loved spending time with her. We cooked, baked, canned, preserved, gardened, and more. I loved to hear her read stories from the bible to me or sing songs of faith. I have many times made recipes of Aunt Virginia's that we made growing up and they were just not the same. I think it was all the love that she put in it.

I have traveled to many parts of our great state. Went to Cass and road the train twice. Been to Charleston, Beckly, Martinsburg, Elkins, Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls, Morgantown, New River Gorge Bridge, Harpers Ferry, Shephardstown, Cathedral Falls, Ice Mountain, and even went canoeing down the Potomac River.

One of the best things we did in school came in the 8th grade. For WV History Mr. Zirk had us do a scrap book of WV things. I remember having a several unique things in there. I had a picture of my Mom and Aunt Virginia with Senator Robert C. Byrd, a Christmas Card from Gov. Gaston Caperton, and pictures of senators. I got an A on it.

I was asked once if I would ever consider moving away from West Virginia. My response was that I could not see myself living anywhere else. I love where I live. I love WV.   #IAmWV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...