Sunday, August 27, 2017

Old Desks


Rev. Joel was telling this morning about a desk that was in one of the houses that he had lived in as a child. The desk was old, metal, and heavy. It reminded me of one that my Uncle Ed had in the den at his house. I think that it was his desk at Don Cartage in Michigan. I am not sure. That desk was metal and heavy. It has a piece of clear plastic on the top and under the plastic was all sorts of pictures and clippings that were important to him. The desk had an old metal office chair with wheels that went with it. Lots of memories of that desk. I use to do my homework on it when I would stay with Uncle Ed and Aunt Virginia. Uncle Ed would study his bible on it. Sometimes Aunt Virginia would write her letters on it.

As I think about that old desk I am reminded that some people are like that desk. The are unmovable. Things have to be their way and there is no changing them. They have a comfort zone that they are not moving from.

Then there comes a point that like the desk these people have to be moved. I am not sure that if this desk ever came out of the house when my Aunt Virginia moved. I know they were trying to get it out for her sale. I was amazed that in 1976 when Aunt Virginia and Uncle Ed moved into the house from Michigan that they got the desk in the den.

Desk like these were made to last a lifetime. That is like the love of God. It is made to last forever. God's word is made to last forever too. We can depend on it to last.

Our Faith in God should be like this. Something that will last forever. In Matthew 15:21-28 we read about a woman that had so much faith in Jesus healing her daughter that she was persistent in going to him till she got what she wanted no matter what the disciples told her.

We all need to have faith like this. Faith that will last. Faith that is strong. Faith that will not be shaken. That way people will see Jesus in us and want to come to know him.  That is a great thought. We need to be more sure of our faith in this day and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...