Monday, March 16, 2015

Broken Faith

Chapter 2
 
I woke up early that Sunday morning. I needed to spend sometime meditating before I went to church. I fixed a pot of tea, grabbed my bible, and turned on my favorite song Lord, I Need You. I needed sometime to myself before church. I needed to think. I needed to know God's will for the situation.
 
Before I knew it Uncle Dave was making breakfast. He was full of surprises.  Something smells good. I am glad you approve. Now sit down here and eat before it gets cold. We will soon have to go to church. You are going to need your strength.
 
Sunday School started at 10:00am. I taught the Adult Sunday School class. I grabbed my church bag and checked to make sure that I had put the announcements and prayer list in. I could see Uncle Dave was waiting by the car. I grabbed my sweater, purse, car keys, and headed to the car. Uncle Dave always wanted to get to church extra early.
 
When we arrived at church I took my bags to the Adult Sunday School room. Then I went to the Sanctuary for opening. Uncle Dave was busy getting ready to lead the opening. I sat down at the piano and started playing some of my songs for service. I liked to practice the songs before people arrived.
 
I couldn't help but think about what was going on. How could two people have such a hold on others in the church? The Sunday School lesson was about working together. Once I finished teaching it was time for me to head to the Sanctuary for Worship. Uncle Dave handed out the bulletins, rang the bell, and took the offering. He had done that as long as I could remember.
 
Sue Culvert came in to the Sanctuary. She always looked like she was going to the Kentucky Derby or it was Easter Sunday. She always wore a hat, high heals, a dress or skirt and top. She looked down on anyone that didn't dress like her. She felt that there should be a dress code for church. Daren Culvert came in the front door of the church. He never came to Sunday School. Daren dressed like he was the preacher. He always wore a three piece suite. He also had to go around and shake hands with everyone in the church.
 
Sue and Daren had to be on every committee of the church. They wanted to be in charge, but do no work. For example Sue was on the food committee. She loved to organize meals after worship of breakfast before Sunday School. She would tell everyone what to bring to the meal and then turn up without a dish to share.
 
Pastor Roy showed up late as usual. It was his thing to be late and then tell me that he had made changes to the service. The changes were always to make the Culvers happy. Another thing that was happening recently is that any special music that I wanted to do for the service had to be passed by Sue Culvert. If she didn't approve of it then it was not to be done. Sorry about her luck. Sue could make changes, but I would change them back.
 
Sue had decided that my prelude song was not going to fly. I had to play a traditional hymn. Most Sundays recently I was told that I was only to play traditional hymns. Sorry about her luck. Today I was going to not only play, but sing Thrive by Casting Crowns. Sue was just going to have to get over it.
 
I figured that they could not get rid of me. There was no one else in the congregation that could play the piano. So once Uncle Dave rang the bell to announce the start of Worship that was my cue.
 
Here in this worn and weary land
Where many a dream has died
Like a tree planted by the water
We never will run dry

So living water flowing through
God, we thirst for more of You
Fill our hearts and flood our souls with one desire

Just to know You and to make You known
We lift Your name on high
Shine like the sun, make darkness run and hide
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive

Into Your word, were digging deep
To know our Fathers heart
Into the world, were reaching out
To show them who You are

Joy unspeakable, faith unsinkable
Love unstoppable, anything is possible

The sermon that morning was about getting along. I think that was directed at me. After Worship Sue did as she always did and gave me a sermon. You were not to play and sing that song for Prelude. What was wrong with it? It is not a traditional hymn that is what. I hate to tell you Sue, but we need to get away from the traditional if we want to grow and bring more people in. I think we are stuck in a rut. Well, Annabelle you are very disrespectful of the feelings of the elder members of the church. They don't want to hear this garbage. I think that you are speaking for yourself. You need to get with the times Sue.

She stormed off. I had a feeling that Pastor Roy would be speaking to me. She always went to cry to Pastor Roy when her feelings are hurt. I was not going to let them get to me. So when Pastor Roy approached me I was ready. Annabelle it came to my attention that you have upset some of the elder members of the church by playing your modern music. If you do not start playing some traditional hymns for Prelude, offering, and closing that you will be removed as pianist. Pastor Roy, who will you get to replace me if you get rid of me? No one else in the church can play the piano.

Pastor Roy looked at me stunned. I guess that you have a point. Indeed I do. I think that if we do some modern songs that we might get better attendance at Worship. I think that some in the church need to embrace the new music and get with the times. Pastor Roy had nothing to say.

Uncle Dave walked up to me. I see you were attacked from both sides about that Prelude. I loved it today. Yes I was and I think that I got my point across. You just may have. Are you ready to go to lunch Uncle Dave? Yes I am starved.

Uncle Dave and I went every Sunday to this local diner called Jericho Road. They had great food. Uncle Dave always ordered breakfast cause they served it all day. I got a mixed plate. As we ate we would talk over the service. We would also strategize about what to do about the Culverts and Pastor Roy.

After lunch it was time for a nap. The day would soon be coming to a close. Tomorrow I had to go to work. I worked as a Preschool Teacher. Sue Culvert was my aide. I sat up on the couch and did some meditation. I should not let Sue get to me. I was going to show her some Christian love like she had never seen before. I was going to surprise her. I was going to change her for the better.

Next week: Chapter 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...