Thursday, July 20, 2017

Joshua 1:9






One of my favorite verses has brought me strength this year. It has also helped me through some tuff time. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid. Do not be dismayed. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

This verse came to Joshua at a time that he needed it most. Moses had just died. Joshua was feeling overwhelmed with the task that he had at hand. 

In one sense this promise is very much directed to Joshua alone. The promise that  "The Lord is with you wherever you go" is certainly a reassurance that Yahweh will be with Joshua just as he has been with Moses. This specific promise is not ours- we aren't following the line of Moses leading the people of Israel into the promised land.

But at the same time this promise is indeed ours. And it is ours because of the accomplishment of the Greater Joshua. Christ has led us into the true promised land-the true rest of God (see Hebrews 5) and because he has done this he has secured the promise given to Joshua that the Lord would be with his people wherever they go.

In one sense, the promise in this passage was specific to Joshua’s role as leader of the Israelites as he took them into the Promised Land. Joshua had a tremendous task to fulfill after the death of Moses—the responsibility of leading an entire nation into a new land. God’s words of boldness and encouragement served as an important message to strengthen Joshua as the leader of God’s people.

This verse does apply to us today. It is reassurance that God is with us at all times. We can use this verse at times when we need to know that God is with us.  It tells us that no matter what life throws at us we need to be strong, have courage, and not to fear. God is by our sides. He will never leave or forsake us.

There have been times in my life that I felt that God had forsaken me. Then I remember this verse. It helps me know that God has not left me. He is with me helping me through whatever I am facing. There is nothing that I need to fear.

So the next time that you are feeling like God has forsaken you just remember this verse. God has not left you alone. He is with you. He loves you and will never leave you no matter what. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...