Saturday, January 24, 2015

Walking....The Lost Art


I got up this morning after a very much needed sleep where I decided to sleep in. I do this a lot on Saturdays because during the week I tend to tell myself that I can stay up a little later and it will be ok. I will still be able to get up in the morning for work. Sleep, though it is a good thing is not the subject of this blog.

I went outside to feed my cat and decided that instead of taking my car down to church that I would walk. This was due to the snow that was on the ground from the night before and the fear that the church hill would not be fit for me to drive up.

I bundled up and headed down the road to the church. As I walked down the road I began to realize that walking places is a lost art. That not a lot of people do it anymore. That people would rather drive their cars than walk. That is sad.

Growing up we walked a lot. Grandma just lived up the road so we walked to her house quite often. Church was down the road so we walked to it in the Summer for youth group. We often walked with my uncle down to the local store. Grandma quite often had me walk to the post office to get her mail. The list goes on.

Now days it seems like we don't walk like we use to. People want to drive even short distances. I know that there are cases where you have to drive. However, there are times that we should just walk. It is better for us in the long run.

So as I walked back up the road I realized another fact that I had not thought about. That is that the roads are just not safe for people to walk anymore. I live out in the country and there are so many dangers in regards to walking on the road. People drive quite fast on the road anymore. 

Now most people only walk these days for exercise rather than necessity. This is in a way sad. I think that if we had to walk more places that we would be healthier by far. People would sleep better after walking a long distance.

So if you ever get the chance I would recommend to you that you take a walk to some place close to you. Make it a habit. You will feel better for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...