Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Don't Assume Anything

Yesterday would have been the birthday of a dear man who I got to know over the years. His name was Stanley. I got to know him because I was friends with his daughter Karen in school and I got to work with him in the school system were he was a bus driver. In the end of his driving career he drove Bus #11.

My Mom had taught Stanley at Mathias High School were Mom was a math teacher. On of the things that stuck with Stanley and that he always told Mom was never assume anything. That was something that Mom taught in Geometry and it was a good rule to go buy.

Yesterday as I was on morning bus duty and Bus #11 drove past me I remembered Stanley saying that often. It got me to thinking that there was one thing that I could assume and that was that Stanley, like my Mom was in Heaven.

So often in this life we are quick to assume things. We are quick to assume things  about people. We are quick to assume that we will get our way about something. We are quick to assume that the weather will go our way. So many things we are quick to assume.

Assuming things gets us in trouble. More often than not when we assume something we assume the wrong thing. For example just because your driveway is icy does not mean that the church parking lot is icy. We need to gain all the facts about something rather than assume.

I know that too often when I was in school that teachers assumed things about me based on cousins of mine that they had. When my sister came along teachers assumed things based on having me. This was wrong and proven as such.

We all make assumptions about what Heaven is going to be like. We assume what our loved ones are doing there. We will not know for sure what Heaven is like until we get there. We can make predictions or guess what it will be like.

I was thinking yesterday that Stanley was driving a bus in Heaven. I was imagining that he was driving around picking up kids and taking them to spend time with Jesus. I also bet that he is picking up friends and loved ones to take them too to see Jesus.

One thing I can assume in this life is that when I die I will go to Heaven because I have accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I know that all those that have accepted Jesus will go to Heaven. That is a fact.

So in this life we should never assume anything as Stanley would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...