Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Education...Then and Now

The education system has changed over the years. I can remember when I was in school teachers taught. I mean really taught. I can remember in 4th grade Mrs. Halterman read to us Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry. I loved that book so over the Summer I checked it out from the public library to read again.

I remember in the 6th grade Mrs. Gunter had us do these oral book reports on famous Americans. I chose Betsy Ross. I was so excited about it. I remember going home and telling my Dad that I was reading about Betsy Ross. He then told me that he met Betsy Ross. I was puzzled. Come to find out a friend of ours (one of Mom's former students) is named Betsy Ross. Dad took me to meet her after that and I practiced my report on her.

Teachers took time to listen. I know that often I talked with my teachers about things and they listened. Sometimes teachers could tell that something was going on with you and would take you aside to talk.

Recess was so much fun. We use to have races. I remember we would start at the playground at Mathias, run to the woods, and back. I won most of the races, but one time I did not. I beat up a boy that won that race. We both got to stand with our noses in the corner for that. Gym class was fun. Kick ball, softball, races, ga ga, basketball, jump rope, and more.

We had the best lunches at Mathias. Homemade from scratch food. We had the best bread and deserts. I remember the spice cake with raisins and the carrot cake. At lunch time our teachers would eat lunch with us and talk to us. Back then chocolate milk was a treat. Breakfasts at school were great too. Gravy was my favorite.

We had the best field trips back then too. We went to DC to the Smithsonian, to the National Zoo, Petersburg Airport, Harrisonburg to the Milk Plant, and more. I remember walking to the Fire Station to talk to the Firemen. Then we had ice cream.

We use to have parades at Halloween. Everyone dressed up in their costumes and we paraded around the outside of the school. My 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Peale dressed up like a Dole Banana one year.

If you got in trouble to punishments were fair. I remember being in trouble once and having to clean toilets for a month. This only lasted 1 week because they found out who really did the crime. We got to get out of school during basketball season to watch Mathias and Wardensville play.

We hardly ever missed school for bad weather. More often than not our bus got stuck going to school. I can still hear Mr. Mutt yelling about all the snow and eventually mud we were tracking into his school.

Today things have changed. Teachers have to teach to the test. Meals are on the Michelle Obama plan. Punishments for bad behavior mean nothing. We miss lots of school in the winter and have to make it up in the summer.

One thing that has not changed is the love that teachers have for their students. They often times buy them clothes, school supplies, and even food. They go above and beyond for their students.

It just makes me sad how teachers have to teach to the test, standard, or policy and don't get to teach like they use to.

It is sad really how things have changed. My theory is that since it was not broke why ever change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blessings A Day 2019 Day 365

Blessings A Day 2019-Day 365 #Blessings2019 On this last day of 2019 I am blessed: That I have made it through another...